Monday, October 6, 2008

Team Challenge - Race for the Cure

So I participated with my friend Carisa and her parents in the Race for the Cure in Denver this weekend. It was going to be a team challenge but we couldn't find Judith and Jen couldn't make it. Regardless, it was so worth it!! This is the first time I've ever done something like this and it was so much fun. As I looked ahead of me, behind me and all around me, it was a sea of pink - there were over 60, 000 participants this year. It was amazing to see the diversity of people participating. Men, women and children of all ages and races. Survivors walking in celebration of their victory against cancer as well as in memory of their loved ones that lost the fight. There were a lot of people that had pink "In Memory of" or "In Celebration of" signs pinned to their shirts...fathers, brothers, uncles, nephews, mothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, nieces, friends....all walking in memory of someone or in celebration of someone. I saw one lady whose In Celebration of sign had at least 10 names. Although it was inspiring to see she knew so many survivors, it was also so sad to realize the many friends she's come close to losing! It was definitely an experience I'll never forget and one that I look forward to participating in again.

Some of the things I found totally cool were:

*Different types of music all along the route. LIVE BANDS in most places.
*Middle School & High School Cheerleaders along the route cheering everyone on - cheers of I AM THE CURE and high fives to all passerbys made me feel like I was accomplishing something with every step I took.
*The route goes through neighborhoods and there were tons of people watching the 'parade of pink' - taking pictures and just cheering us on.
*Cars passing underneath us (part of the route was on an exit from the highway) honking to show their support.
*The music being played! Sheryl Crowe, Melissa Ethridge, U2 to name a few.

The one thing I didn't find cool:
All Women 5K Race: 7:00
Co-Ed 5K Race: 8:30
Family 1 Mile Walk

I participated in the Co-Ed race....and there were children of all ages....some carried, some in strollers, some walking until they got tired. I didn't expect that since the FAMILY WALK was at 9:30. I was irritated - I know, I know...it's a good cause and I should be happy that there are so many people participating. And I was. But....the Family Walk is named that for a reason...that's the one that you should participate in if you want to include all your children (this is mostly directed at the people with children under the age of 10!!) Anway - that's my only complaint. My goal is to RUN the 7:00 race next year and then volunteer for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, so proud of you girl... You're looking fitter and fitter by the day! Whose FEW are you???? ;) Love you!!!